Sunday, March 4, 2012

Session 6 Nebula


Storytelling--- volunteer as an English teacher for 3 months

I had been a volunteer as an English teacher in a school for children of migrant workers for 3 months and was responsible for teaching English class for grade 5 and 6. I found that the children in this school were all very poor at English; in fact some children even could not recognize alphabet A, B, C… though they had started learning English from grade 3. With high enthusiasm but lacking of professional English teacher and learning resources limits their chance to enhance English. So I decided to take some English books every time, which collected from my friends and my relatives, and gave these children as a prize to who participated class most actively.

I was so deeply touched by their learning attitude towards English because they were so curious about the this new language that I could always find some question slips nipped in their homework. Unfortunately, no computers, no iphones or ipads promoted their learning, but the knowledge was only from their English books and some extracurricular books brought by me. When I came back to my university, I felt so shamed about the absent rate in my English class. My classmates had the most advanced language learning facilities and experienced teachers, but some of them were sick of learning so much or even absent to attend the class.

I think school organization should more focus on the significance of learning itself but not only on the academic performance. The children in most big cities do not acknowledge that their opportunities are so precious due to Chinese biggest population among the world. I also hope more university students will be encouraged to join in the voluntary association as a teacher to bring more learning resources and new ideas to the children in rural areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment